Sara Ramirez is not only beautiful but she is also incredibly talented. The Mexican-American actress is a noted singer and songwriter as well. Throughout her career, she has been lucky enough to win a Tony Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, a Satellite Award and she has earned many more nominations. Her musical prowess was definitely on display for her portrayal of the Lady of the Lake in 2005 Broadway Musical Spamalot. She earned the Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a musical for the role.
Bio & Age
Sara Elena Ramirez was born in Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico on the 31st of August, 1975. Both of her parents are Mexicans but her mother is also of Irish-American descent. Sara began living with her mother in San Diego when her parents got divorced when she was only eight.
She showed so much interest in music that her mother sent her to the San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts. At this point, she became sure of her talent after singing in an audition. Not only that, she also took to acting in stage productions at her high school. Through her involvement in roles like Dolly in Hello Dolly, Miss Hannigan in Annie, she was recommended for the Julliard School, New York City where she bagged a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree.
Ramirez got more public acceptance for her role as Dr Callie Torres in Grey’s Anatomy. However, she announced her exit from the show during the thirteenth season. Of course, she had stolen the hearts of the people with her dynamism and professionalism, leaving many fans shocked as her exit was not expected.
Sara Ramirez was discovered by a casting director while still at Julliard and began taking roles in various works. She made her big screen debut with a role in the romantic comedy You’ve Got Mail. Sara is also a sought-after voice actress and has voiced ‘Lammy’ in the video game Umjammer Lammy On Sony’s PlayStation. She repeated the role in the follow-up for PlayStation 2.
She has also taken up guest roles in various television series including NYPD Blue, Law and Order: SVU, Spin City, Third Watch and many more.
Recently, in 2016, she became a producer with the comedy movie, Loserville. The main idea behind the project was to create awareness on bullying. The movie was released with support from Pacer Foundation Centre for Bully Prevention. As previously mentioned, she has won several awards and landed nominations such as Best Actress at the NAACP Image Award and the ALMA Award.
Who is Sara Ramirez’s Husband – Ryan DeBolt? Here’s All You Need To Know
Speaking of her personal life, the singer/actress got engaged to Ryan DeBolt in June 2011. They tied the knot in a private beachside ceremony in New York on the 4th of July, 2012. The union, however, has not yielded any offspring for now.
Ryan was born on the 25th of September, 1980 in Mexico. He spent most part of his childhood in his hometown before moving to the United States. Like his wife, Sara Ramirez, he is a Mexican-American with roots in the Irish Culture. Ryan is a businessman working in a finance industry, at TIMEC as a business analyzer. The bond between them is strong and he supports his wife to the fullest.
Five Other Facts About Sara Ramirez
1. At a conference in 2016, Sara announced that she is bisexual. Even with the announcement, her marriage still stands strong.
2. Sara Ramirez has also given herself to philanthropy. Having declared her sexual orientation, she campaigns for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights. She spoke in support of the homeless LGBTQ youth at a True Colors Fund’s Conference. In 2015, she was awarded the Ally for Equality Award by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
3. Sara Ramirez is very good at what she does. She has voiced the role of Queen Miranda in the series Sofia The First from 2012 to date.
4. After her performance in the 2005 Broadway Musical Spamalot, the executives from American Broadcasting Company (ABC) told her to pick any role she would like to play in any of the ABC shows, talk about success. She eventually picked the Grey’s Anatomy as she has been a fan of the show for years.
5. The actress is bilingual and can speak English and Spanish fluently.