If you are a fan of ‘heavy metal’ music and its likes, then the name Zakk Wylde will not by any means be new to you. Zakk has found a way to lure crowds and entertain millions down the years. He has metamorphosed from this child prodigy with the guitar into a sensational guitar player, songwriter, and actor.
Zakk Wylde was born on January 14, 1967, in Bayonne, New Jersey. Whilst he was just a little kid, only 8 years old, he took up an interest in playing the guitar and began attending lessons. He was a child prodigy with the stringed instrument and by the time he entered high school, he began to take his passion seriously. So much so that he could play the guitar continuously for 12 hours each day, thus affecting him in school, however, Zakk graduated from Jackson Memorial High School, New Jersey in 1985.
When he was 14, he began to work at Silverton Music and his music career steadily built up. Wylde began by playing for local bands in Jersey. His first band was Stone Henge and then he moved to another band, Zyris. By the time he was about 19, his big break came when he met the famous Ozzy Osbourne. Wylde had sent a demo tape to Ozzy and by the end of a single audition, Wylde was hired by Ozzy Osbourne. He was the lead guitarist and co-writer for Ozzy’s band.
A year later, he debuted on No Rest for the Wicked. Wylde and Ozzy Osbourne continued their affiliation all the way up to 1995’s Ozzmosis. Before 1995, Wylde had formed a band, Pride & Glory and they released a single album and then disbanded. By the time he parted ways with Ozzy Osbourne, he went on to form his own band, Black Label Society. He released the now-classic, Book of Shadows in 1996. Black Label Society was a tool to help showcase his own artistic talent which is very much uncompromising.
In 1998, he recorded Sonic Brew and the second album, Stronger Than Death in 2000. Five years later in 2001, Wylde would be reunited with Ozzy Osbourne but still continued working with Black Label Society as well. By the early to mid-2000’s, Zakk Wylde and the Black Label Society released four albums – The Blessed Hellride, Mafia, Hangover Music Vol. VI and Shot to Hell. More works have followed down the years, Skullage, Order of the Black in 2011, Catacombs of the Black Vatican in 2014 amongst others.
Zakk Wylde Wife, Kids
Wylde is married to wife, Barbaranne Wylde and the couple has four children together. Hayley Rae, Hendrix, Sabbath and Jesse. Ozzy Osbourne is godfather to Jesse.
Zakk Wylde has been active for over 26 years, as such he has earned every penny he owns. Besides his music, Zakk also endorses a few brands, he has a partnership with Blair’s Sauces and Snacks. He also endorses Deathwish Coffee on his social media. His net worth stands at $16 million.
Height and Other Facts
Here now are other facts about Zakk Wylde that you might not know:
- Interestingly, his birth name is not Zakk Wylde. It is Jeffrey Phillip Wielandt.
- He stands at a height of 1.88 meters.
- When he auditioned to join up with Ozzy Osbourne, he was hired to replace Jake E. Lee and the position he took up was once held by one of his foremost guitar-playing influence, in the person of Randy Rhoads.
- Wylde’s signature guitar is a Les Paul custom painted with his famous bullseye. It is known as ‘The Grail’. He lost the guitar in 2000 when it fell off a truck but they would be reunited when a fan bought it at a pawn shop and sent it back to Wylde.
- He was close friends with Darrell “Dimebag” Abbott, the Pantera and Damageplan guitarist. The song “In This River” was dedicated to his memory.
- Wylde is a New York Yankees fan.
- Wylde was hospitalized in August 2009 and was treated for blood clots. When he left the hospital, he quit drinking alcohol.
- Wylde was voted ‘Most Valuable Player’ by the Guitar World magazine polls, three times in a row from 2003 to 2006.
- Zakk has been inducted into the Hollywood Rock Walk of Fame.
- Wylde adheres to his Irish Catholic faith fervently.