If you as a lady have been getting beauty tips from YouTube then you must have probably come across Mariand Castrejon Castañeda. Doesn’t sound familiar right? Perhaps you know her as Yuya, the vlogger behind the channel lady16makeup.
Yuya in 2015 was reported by Bustle magazine as the highest paid beauty vlogger and in 2017, her channel ranked the 21st most subscribed YouTube channel in July, though she has dropped to number 27 in the more recent 2018 mid-year update.
The beauty vlogger and social media celebrity has gained immense popularity doing online what most other ladies do in front of their mirrors only, and for this, she has been well rewarded both in finance and fame.
Like it is with most internet celebrities, a lot is still not known and documented about her background, but to fill up this gap, Heightline.com embarked on a research to find out more about the identity of Yuya who is setting the trend in women’s beauty and makeup patterns.
Who is Yuya? The Mexican Beauty YouTuber That Has Taken The Internet By Storm
Yuya was born to Mexican parents on the 13th of March 1993 in Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico. Her parent’s names are Maribel and Andrés and it was from their names that her first portmanteau name Mariand was derived. The nickname for which she is more popular with was given to her by her uncle when she was a kid after a Mexican television character Yuya, la Gorda (Fat Yuya). Mariand has a brother called Sergio who is also a YouTuber and is doing well for himself in his own space.
The Mexican celebrity from an early age was very artistic and this informed why she studied ballet, drama, and theatre at school. She joined YouTube when she was 16 in 2009 and at a later time participated in a beauty contest where she made a video to show her makeup talent. Yuya didn’t win the pageant but she kept on honing her makeup skills, creating new shades and makeup procedures. She participated in a YouTube makeup contest which she won and has since then been making makeup videos and uploading them to her channel.
On her lady16makeup channel, she has over 21 million subscribers with more than 2 billion total video views. Yuya posts videos on beauty tutorials, hair, and makeup procedures on the channel and in addition she has a second channel named Yuyacst where she vlogs about her daily life.
Her makeup prowess has seen her featured in Vogue and on Mexican television. Similarly, she was one of the seven female YouTubers who featured on the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Action Campaign, aimed at achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls. Yuya has two books to her credit: Los Secretos de Yuya (2015) and Las Confesiones de Yuya (2016). She has stepped up her game on the entrepreneurial side of life following the launch of her perfume (#True) and makeup collection in July 2015 and October 2017 respectively.
Yuya’s Boyfriend and their Relationship
Yuya’s love interest is Beto Pasillas who was born on March 29, 1991, in Monterrey, Mexico. He has two siblings a brother and a sister and while growing up, he had interest in music but would later diversify and specialize as a YouTuber.
He has been in a relationship with Yuya since 2016 till now. At a time, it was rumored that the two were already engaged and about to get married but the nuptials is yet to hold. Till when that happens, Beto and Yuya are enjoying their relationship together and there are no rumors of a split.
Other Facts About Her
- She is the most popular YouTuber in Mexico obviously.
- She became the first female YouTuber to surpass 20 million subscribers.
- In 2015, she was reported to be earning as much as $41, 000 monthly from her YouTube channel.
- Yuya’s current net worth is reported to be about $3 million.
- Despite dropping to number 27 in 2018 from number 21 in 2015 on the list of most-subscribed YouTube channels, Yuya still ranks above other YouTubers and celebrity YouTubechannels like those of Bruno Mars, Shakira, Markiplier, jacksepticeye, Logan Paul and Adele.
- She is Mexican and all her videos are in Spanish. It becomes quite surprising how she has so many subscribers. But when we put into consideration that the internet is not dominated by only English speaking and writing people, we can then give this lady some accolades to have accomplished all she has accomplished despite the language barrier.
- Love found her with Beto Pasillas, who is also a Spanish YouTuber.