Ray Borg is an averagely successful fighter in professional mixed martial arts. Having previously shined in his native Arizona with promotions like King of the Cage and Legacy Fighting Championship, Borg, in April 2014, switched boats to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) where he fights in the flyweight division, the same division he was part of in his two earlier promotions. Going into the UFC Fight Night 139, Ray Borg was ranked at #5 on the UFC flyweight rankings. He was matched up against Joseph Benavidez who ranks a step higher than him. Borg’s highest rank as at the time of this writing is at #3.
Ray Borg’s Family, Wife
Ray Borg may beat up people for a living but he is a family man at heart. The professional MMA fighter is married to Amanda Bord (nee Lovato) and together, the pair has built an adorable family. Following a period of dating, Borg popped the question to Amanda on, well… “Boxing” Day – the 26th of December 2015.
Boxing Day sure does refer to a day when people get to open their Christmas box gifts but we can’t help but wonder if Borg chose the day in reference to the sports of boxing, something that his wife also loves to do. Yup! You read that right, Mrs. Amanda Borg is also a fighter. Now, you know what attracted them to each other.
She is a mixed martial artist who took a break from her career to start a family with the love of her life. Standing at a height of 5 feet with a weight of 110 lbs, Amanda Borg fought in the strawweight division.
As at the time of this writing, she fought her last bout on the 14th of May 2016 at the King of the Cage. Though Amanda left to start making babies with Ray, she still has hopes of returning to the ring and trains occasionally to keep in shape. Amanda Borg was born on the 28th of April 1991, in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. She attended Robertson High School and later, the Central New Mexico (CNM) Community College. She has a brother named Ben Lovato.
The couple tied the knot on the 14th day of April 2017. A year later, they took to their respective social media pages to wish each other a happy anniversary, sharing photos of their big day. The first year of their marriage wasn’t at all what the couple had hoped for due to their baby’s illness but against all odds, they have managed to stay strong.
They welcomed their first child, a son named Anthony Borg on the 27th of March 2018. However, a month after Anthony arrived, his parents were informed of the tragic news of their newborn being diagnosed with hydrocephalus which in layman terms means having water in the brain.
As of October 2018, the young lad had undergone four brain surgeries to fix his illness. Ray and his wife, Amanda, via social media, have taken their fans through every phase of their son’s illness. Amanda, in particular, has come to be involved in raising awareness about the terrible disease. In order to help with his son’s medical bills, Ray Borg began selling tees online.
Other Facts About The MMA Star
• Ray Borg was born Raymond Anthony Borg on the 4th of August 1993, in Tucson, Arizona. He is of Mexican descent.
• Borg is nicknamed, The Tazmexican Devil.
• He turned pro in 2012 and after fighting in King of the Cage and Legacy Fighting Championship, made his UFC debut against Dustin Ortiz on April 19, 2014.
• Borg recorded his first UFC win in a bout against newcomer Shane Howell.
• He won his first fight by unanimous decision on August 8, 2015, at UFC Fight Night 73 against Geane Herrera.
• Ray Borg was involved in a situation with Conor McGregor on April 5th, 2017. Conor, in an attempt to get at prospective opponent Khabib Nurmagomedov, shoved a dolly through a shuttle-bus window but ended up leaving glass fragments in Borg’s eyes. As a result, Borg was unfit to fight in his next bout scheduled for April 7th.
• Borg pulled out of his bout against Brandon Moreno on May 19, 2018, at UFC Fight Night 129 in order to be there for his son who was having a brain surgery.
• Ray Borg stands at 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighs 125 lbs. His reach measures 65 inches and his leg reach 35 inches.