Patina Miller is an incredibly talented dancer, singer, and actress who is known for playing fierce and strong female characters. Although her career began on the stage, she has also appeared regularly on film and television, scoring roles in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay series, Madam Secretary, All My Children, and Mercy Street. She is considered one of the best performers of the last two decades.
The actress has received numerous awards and recognition for her brilliant and overpowering acting abilities. Some of her notable performances on the stage include her Tony Award-winning role as the leading character Pippin in the eponymously titled revival of the famous play, and her embodiment of Deloris Van Cartier in Broadway and West End productions of the play Sister Act.
The African-American actress is also a phenomenal singer whose voice has been praised as terrific, electrifying, and a musical powerhouse that blends Whitney Houston with Gloria Gaynor’s vocals. She is one of the most arrestingly brilliant performers in show business today, and she shows no interest in slowing down in her career.
Patina Miller Biography
Patina was born on November 6, 1984, to a single mother Robin Burch, in Pageland, South Carolina. Her father was not involved in her upbringing, and her mother had to work very hard to give her daughter the best life she could. Patina fell in love with music when she was very little and she joined her local church choir.
She completed her early education at South Carolina Governor’s School for the Arts & Humanities, before going on to Carnegie Mellon University where she studied musical theatre. Her time at Carnegie set the ball rolling for what would become a successful acting career. She learned from the very best teachers and fellow students, and she considers the school to be one of the most important phases of her life.
On the personal side of things, Patina Miller is no longer a single lady. She fell in love and married a businessman and venture capitalist named Davis Mars. The couple tied the knot on June 14, 2014, in a beautiful ceremony that was officiated by the actress’ mother who is an ordained minister. Patina’s marriage has been blessed with a daughter, Emerson Harper, who was born on August 9, 2017.
Patina’s career began in 2005 after she was selected as one of the three finalists to be cast to play Effie White in the Dreamgirls musical. She later went on to feature in the long-running daytime soap All My Children, in the Central Park 2008 production of Hair, and in Manchester Theatre Club production of Romantic Poetry. In 2009, she landed the career-defining role of Deloris Van Cartier in the play Sister Act. The touch she brought to the character was very well received, and critics praised her performance for being the soul and heart of the show.
She scored a nomination for the prestigious Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actress in a Musical for her role, which she reprised in 2011 on Broadway. Patina Miller earned a number of honours for her performance including a Theatre World Award, a nomination for Outstanding Actress in a Musical at the Outer Critics Circle Award, a Distinguished Performance nomination for the Drama League Award, a Tony Award nomination for Best Actress in a Musical, and a Drama Desk Award nod for Outstanding Actress in a Musical.
The award-winning actress has also starred in Lost in the Stars and Pippin. The latter won her a Tony Award and Outer Circle Critics Award for Best Actress in a Musical. The stage is not the only platform Patina has blessed with her enormous talent, she has also starred in the following films and television shows; The Hunger Games: Mockingjay 1 & 2, Madam Secretary, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Wood Party, and Mercy Street.
5 Interesting Facts You Need To Know
1. Patina Miller has a crippling fear of heights, but she didn’t let this stop her from swinging 17 feet in the air from a trapeze in every performance of Pippin. The Tony award she won for her role definitely made what seemed a near-death experience well worth it.
2. She made her first public appearance in a middle school talent competition, singing “His Eye is on the Sparrow” from the play Sister Act, and she later made her Broadway debut starring in the very same play as Deloris Van Cartier.
3. Patina Miller used to think she was going to end up alone because she didn’t lead an active social life away from her career.
4. The super talented actress met her husband and soulmate when she was 26 through an online dating website. They hit it off right on their first date and knew that they wanted to keep seeing each other, and they were married soon after.
5. Her dream is to play a strong and fierce black female superhero in a Marvel movie. She already has the athletic abilities and training to take on such a role, all Marvel needs to do is make the movie and cast her in it.