Without having watched Netflix’s 13 Reason Why, there is a huge chance you might never have heard of actress Michele Selene Ang who plays the recurring character of Courtney Crimsen in the teen drama web television series. Having only just recently made the transition from performing in plays to appearing in front of the camera, the actress is hoping to become a household name in the future and no one is betting against that happening. Read on to find out all you need to know about her life and career so far.
Michele Selene Ang’s Background and Early Life
Michele Selene Ang was born a few days after Valentine’s day, on the 18th of February, 1994 in the Bay Area of California. While the identities of her parents are unknown, it is known that they are originally from Taiwan. It is further not clear if she is their only offspring or that she has siblings.
As a young child, Michele harbored hopes of having a career as an entertainer. This prompted her parents to enroll her for both piano and dance lessons. She is said to have taken piano classes for about 6 years while also training in styles of ballet, modern, and ethnic dancing for a period of about 7 years. In between those times, she also reportedly trained as a belter and mezzo-soprano singer.
Details regarding Michele Selene Ang’s early education, among other details about her life as a teenager, is not public knowledge. What is however known is that after graduating high school, she moved to study out of state by enrolling at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in New York, majoring in Theatre Performance. In 2016, Michele completed the requirements to be awarded a Bachelor of Arts degree. She further earned the Fordham University Excellence in Theatre Award.
Following the completion of her education, Michele moved to start her acting career. The actress caught her big break as she was cast to play the role of Courtney Crimsen in Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why (2017-present) the following year. While becoming somewhat of a fan favorite on the show, Michele has further been able to land other roles. Her other most notable role to date was in a 2018 episode of the CBS procedural drama series, Elementary (2012-present), where she plays the character Kelsey Chapman in the episode titled Sand Trap.
Other About The Actress
1. As a student at Fordham University, Michele Selene Ang earned her stripes in acting by appearing in various theater productions.
2. Since the time she moved to New York for her college education, the California native has chosen to not return home as she now calls the Big Apple her home. She reportedly now lives in the New York borough of Brooklyn and like every other average New Yorker, has had to ride the subway in order to easily get from one place to another.
3. Her role of Courtney Crimsen in 13 reasons Why was the first time she had ever acted in a television series or a movie. Prior to her landing that role, she had mainly focused on theatre performance.
4. Actor Brandon Flynn, Michele’s co-star on the aforementioned Netflix show, and the actress had known each other since 2012. The pair are said to have first met each other at a program for talented teen artists in Miami called the YoungArts Week.
5. Michele Selene Ang made an appearance in the talk show, A Celebrity’s Guide to Giving.
6. She stands at a height of 5 feet 2 inches.
7. When the word went around that a major Hollywood studio was looking to feature a majority cast of Asian descent in the movie adaptation of Kevin Kwan’s 2013 satirical novel, Crazy Rich Asians, every actor, and actress who qualified for the criteria, including Michele, moved to audition for a role. It is reported that the actress impressed the filmmakers during the auditions when she showed off her vocal ability. She was, however, later overlooked for a role in the movie that went on to become the highest-grossing romantic comedy in a decade. It further garnered Golden Globe Award nominations for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy while actress Constance Wu was nominated for Best Actress – Motion Picture Comedy or Musical.
8. Michele is trilingual. In addition to English, she is fluent in Mandarin and Indonesian.