Even though he is still very young, Markelle Fultz is an American basketball player who is now famous, playing for the Philadelphia 76ers. Since he made his NBA Draft in 2017, he has been an important player to the team even though he stayed away for a rather long time as a result of a shoulder injury. Since emerging as the first pick, there have been a lot of eyes watching to see how he is faring. Here is all you need to know about him.
Markelle Fultz Biography
He was born Markelle N’Gai Fultz on May 29, 1998, in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. He was brought up alongside an elder sibling by a single mother, Ebony Markelle, without any help from his father who abandoned the family.
His entire childhood, since the age of 3 was all about basketball and it was from then that he wanted to become a player. It took a proper shape when he met Keith Williams who would go on to be his personal coach for a long time to come.
He attended the DeMatha Catholic high school and from there, he proceeded to the University of Washington. In relation to the game of basketball, his school years were great in many ways. While in high school, he earned himself the Player of the Year at the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference and by the time he was through, there were over 20 scholarships from colleges waiting for him.
With the Washington Huskies, although the team didn’t perform so well, he got to record one of the best performances in freshman seasons in the history of Pac-12 Conference. Also, he made the All-Pac-12 First-team as well as the Third-team All-American.
He began his career after he made it as the 2017 first NBA Draft for the 76sers. Since then, he has been a significant part of the team even though he suffered a scapular muscle imbalance, which he has recovered from.
In 2018, he became the youngest player to record a triple-double in the NBA with his 13 points, 10 assists and 10 rebounds performance against the Milwaukee Bucks. What makes it even more spectacular was the fact that he made the record coming from the bench.
Height and Body Stats
As it is with many basketball stars, one of the first things that pull them to the light apart from their skills and hard work has to be their build. This also works for Markelle Fultz who has a very good height and body weight to help him survive in the sports. He has a height of 6 feet 4 inches (193 cm) and a body weight of 195 lbs (88kg).
That pointed out, his combined strength and agility results have not been released, but he has still been doing great for himself thus far in the NBA.
- Growing up without a father as he was abandoned with his mother when he was still just a child, the young star tweeted at his father reminding him of how he has made it without him.
- Having made the pick as the first NBA Draft, Fultz became the first Husky to achieve that in the overall NBA draft.
- He represented the United States team at the 2016 FIBA Americas in Chile where the team won the championship. He was the MVP of the tournament which he ended as its top scorer.
- With the contract he signed with the Philadelphia 76ers, Markelle Fultz is said to be taking home over $5 million each season.
- He has recorded a McDonald’s All-American in 2016 as well as a Nike Hoop Summit in the same year.
- The Upper Marlboro native is not known to have any girlfriend at the moment, but then, he is very close to Kaila Charles who some have suggested may be having something running.
- He has a very close relationship with his mother whom he described as his world as well as his sister.
- The Philadelphia 76ers guard has already signed an endorsement deal with Nike. The multi-year deal was signed in 2017 before he made the NBA Draft.
- Since he has grown without a dad, he indicated that it was Keith Williams that has served all through for him as both a mentor and a father figure. He has also been his trainer and coach, all of which have kept the two very close.