In 1979, Margaret Colin started her career in acting on the set of American television mystery soap opera The Edge of Night. Her role as Paige Madison, an heiress on the series marked the beginning of better opportunities which culminated in a collection of more than sixty films and television series over time.
Amid her numerous projects, playing the role of Margo Hughes and Eleanor Waldorf-Rose on the series As the World Turns and Gossip Girl respectively brought her career to prominent fame. Starting from the beginning, let’s see how Margaret Colin worked her way to the limelight and held her ground thus.
Margaret Colin – Age and Background Details
On May 26, 1958, the American actress was born in Brooklyn, New York City. Of Irish descent and raised by a New York City police officer (father), Margaret grew up as a Roman Catholic. She has only one known sibling named John Colin. The first school she attended was Baldwin Senior High School where she graduated from in 1976 and proceeded to Hofstra University.
She finished from college before her first onscreen appearance in The Edge of Night, followed by As the World Turns – she played Margo Montgomery on the latter from July 1980 to October 1983.
She also has quite an impressive collection of primetime television shows in her name some of which include Foley Square, Leg Work and Chicago Hope. Margaret was seen in one episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit in 2003. On the episode titled “Tortured”, she appeared as a mother, arrested for abetting a murder.
Another big role came in 2007 when she was cast to play the recurring role of Blair Waldorf’s mother – Eleanor Waldorf (formerly played by Florencia Lozano) in Gossip Girl. She stayed on the teen drama television show until 2012. Some of her recent television roles can be found in Veep and Shade of Blue.
In addition to her television collection, Margaret Colin has also built up appearances in films to an admirable extent. Some of the standouts among the films she has been in include the 1986 Something Wild, Three Men and a Baby – released in 1987, The Butcher’s Wife (1991), Independence Day (1996), Unfaithful (2002), as well as the 2004 First Daughter.
She has also been on Broadway and used her 2003 performance of the English play A Day in the Death of Joe Egg to make a statement about the state’s smoking ban by smoking up a storm on stage. She dedicated her performance in the second half of the show to Mayor Michael Bloomberg but gave up smoking afterwards.
Family – Husband, Children
Already in her 60s, Margaret Colin has two grown-up sons with her husband actor Justin Deas. He was her love interest on As the World Turns and that was how their love took shape in the real world. After the show, the couple kept their flame burning and soon became husband and wife in January 1988.
Their first son Sam was born in 1990 while the second joined the family in 1993 and was named Joseph. There’s also a stepdaughter from her husband’s first marriage. Apparently, Margaret has her hands full as a mother but her husband has always been by her side.
Height And Other Facts About Margaret Colin
1. Although her birth was recorded in Brooklyn, New York City, Margaret Colin spent her childhood in Baldwin, New York, on Long Island.
2. One of her recent notable projects is on Broadway’s 2018 revival of Carousel where she plays Mrs. Mullin.
3. She supports the pro-life movement and as one of the activists, she once rendered her services in the capacity of honorary co-chair of Feminists for Life – an organization which frowns at abortion. Margaret was also a board member of the group, Feminists for Nonviolent Choices. Notably, this group has no affiliation with Feminists for Life.
4. In the late 1990s, Margaret, her husband and children moved to Upper Montclair, New Jersey and they are believed to be residing there currently.
5. Having been cast in a lot of hit movies and series in addition to other projects she has embarked on so far in her career, we expect a good sum of in Margaret’s name and she hasn’t disappointed thus far. Her last estimated net worth is $10 Million.
6. She is among the tall ladies of Hollywood, standing at 1.8 m above the ground. Her height in feet and inches amounts to a little above 5ft 9in.