K-pop has in recent years become a global phenomenon as the music genre is today receiving airplay in parts of the world that would have previously not given a thought to such music. While there are more than a few people who can lay a claim to have helped make the genre popular, no one can outrightly dispute the role Lalisa Manoban has been able to play to this effect.
The Thai rapper, dancer, and singer is a member of the YG Entertainment all-girl group Blackpink who is unarguably the biggest female K-pop group in the world. This is thanks to the fact that they have attained the highest positions on both the Billboard Hot 100 and Billboard 200 chart among the other K-pop acts, and are also the most subscribed music group on YouTube among other notable criteria.
On a personal note, Manoban, who is also a model and fashion icon, has in 2019 become the most followed K-pop artist on Instagram, a clear nod to her popularity, marketability, and claim to be one of the industry’s bigwigs.
Lalisa Manoban’s Fact Sheet
Early Life and Career Beginings
Lalisa Manoban was born Pranpriya Manoban on the 27th of March 1997 in the northeastern Thailand province of Buriram. While the identity of her biological father is not public knowledge, her mother is known to be of Thai origins while her stepfather, Marco Brueschweiler, is a native of Switzerland.
Manoban spent her formative years in Bangkok and fell in love with K-pop music at a tender age. She admired acts such as Big Bang and aspired to become just like them. To realize these lofty aspirations, she enrolled in several talent hunt competitions. She also joined a dance crew known as We Zaa Cool.
In 2010, the then 14-year-old Lalisa Manoban successfully auditioned to join YG Entertainment. She spent five years training under the South Korean entertainment company before debuting as a member of Blackpink in August 2016.
Blackpink dropped their first album titled Square One in August 2016. The album spurned several hit songs including “Whistle” and “Boombayah” which reached numbers 1 and 2 on the Billboard World Digital Songs Chart respectively. Following this impressive debut, Manoban and her bandmates did not relent as they dropped their sophomore album titled Square Two in November 2016.
Square Two equally produced several hit songs including “Playing With Fire” which also topped the Billboard World Digital Songs Charts. This back-to-back success unsurprisingly earned Blackpink universal rookie of the year honors at all the major award shows in Asia.
Since their stellar debut, Lalisa Manoban and her bandmates have gone on to drop several other chart-topping projects. They have also set many enviable records, including being the first K-pop girl group to perform at the Coachella Music Festival and the first K-pop girl group to grace the cover of Billboard Magazine, among other achievements.
Other Interesting Tidbits about the Thai Rapper
1. There are conflicting reports in regards to the true figure of Lalisa Monoban’s net worth. While a few wealth calculating websites estimate it to be around $8 million, others put the figure at $2 million.
2. The rapper, who was born Pranpriya but later changed her first name to Lalisa after reportedly consulting some fortune-tellers, is multilingual. She speaks as much as four languages, including Thai, English, Japanese, and Korean. The K-pop star also has a passable knowledge of the Chinese language.
Due to this, it is no surprise to find out that a good number of her favorite foods originated from different countries. The Thai native lists French fries, Sushi, and Gamjatang as her best dishes.
3. As mentioned above, Manoban is a professional model who has worked for several reputable fashion brands. She further serves as the muse of French fashion designer Hedi Slimane.
4. She is also a philanthropist who has several donated and helped raise funds to assist victims of natural disasters in her home country.
5. Manoban is the tallest member of her all-girl group thanks to her height of 5 feet 5¾ inches (1.67 m). Her weight is further listed at 46 kg (101 lbs).
6. Lalisa Manoban has served as the ambassador of several brands, including Samsung Galaxy S10, AIS Thailand (telecoms company), Moonshot (makeup brand), and Ragnarok M: Eternal Love (online mobile game), etc.