20 years he gave to the NBA and he did it all on one team, the Los Angeles Lakers. As commendable as that is, it makes us even more curious about the man behind the name. Before we delve into the topic of Kobe Bryant’s height, weight and body measurements, let’s check out a few facts about the athlete himself.
- He was born Kobe Bean Bryant on 23 August 1978 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Now here is an interesting tid bit of information, he’s named after a Japanese steak house in Philadelphia. His parents dined there sometime before he was born and the service must have been really amazing for them to name their kid after it.
- His parents must be very liberal when it comes to naming their kids, his middle name is different from what appears on his birthday certificate. He was named ‘bean’ from his father’s nickname Jelly Bean, but it was not officially written down on the documents. Bean though?
- Bryant is bi lingual; yes, the retired athlete grew up in Italy and initially learnt the language quickly majorly because he wanted to fit in with the other kids in his school in Italy. It worked to his advantage though, as he used the language a lot to interact with his teammates during matches.
- Make no mistake, he did not rely on basket ball because he couldn’t handle his school work, he was a brilliant student; he got good grades in class and a high score on his SAT’s.
- Guess who Bryant took to his high school prom? His date was no other than Brandy, she was not in school and as such had never gone to prom, so he helped a sister out and landed a famous date.
- He entered the NBA straight out of high school.
- Throughout his whole career the athlete only had one scandal, he was and is still known to keep his personal life to himself.
- Kobe Bryant ended his 20 year career in the NBA on April 13, 2016.
Kobe Bryant’s Height
He’s a retired basketball player, so you best believe that he is not lacking in the height department, seeing as it is one of the main requirements for the job. The athlete stands tall at 6 feet 4 inches, but at some point (when he was first entered the NBA) his listed height was actually 6 feet 7 inches.
Wow! That’s a lot of inches shaved off. So how did we come across this tid bit of information about Kobe Bryant’s height? It was supplied by the athlete himself, we believe his exact words were, ‘ Everyone thinks I’m 6 feet 7 inches tall. But just between you and me, I’m really 6-4, I’m probably 6-5 in sneaks.’
So there you have it, it’s not everyday we have a celebrity admit that his listed height is incorrect, so that’s pretty commendable. This kind of news has got to have you wondering what other sorts of exaggerations they tell us about professional athletes.
Anyway, it’s time for some comparison; here is a list of other celebrities who share Kobe Bryant’s height, Drake, Stephen King, Liam Neeson and Michael Phelps all stand as tall as the athlete himself.
Kobe Bryant’s Weight
He has been keeping it tight and toned, you best believe that, Bryant has a healthy weight of 96 kg. He also started a trend in the basket ball world and we are sure he had no idea that lots of other players would follow suit. In summer 2007, he was 29 years old and going into his 12th NBA season, Kobe was also coming off the two best statistical seasons of his life.
Rather than letting time take it’s toll, he lost 9 kg and boy did he get results. Over the next three years he won two titles, made the NBA Finals every year, averaged 27 points per game, and missed only nine of 246 regular-season games. That was enough for reason for other players like LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Dwayne Wade to lose a few pounds.
Kobe Bryant’s Body Measurements
In addition to Kobe Bryant’s height and weight, here is a summary of all his body measurements.
Height: 6 feet 4 inches
Weight: 96 kg or 212 lbs
Chest size: 43 in or 109 cm
Arms/ biceps size: 16.5 in or 42 cm
Waist size: 35 in or 89 cm
Feet/ Shoe Size: 14 US,47 EU, 13.5 UK.