Kevin King was projected for success based on his high school performance where he played several positions on the gridiron. He subsequently moved and played at the University of Washington before he became a cornerback for the Green Bay Packers following the NFL Draft of 2017.
The kid from Oakland enjoyed a stellar collegiate career where he was an honorable mention on the All-Pac 12 in his junior and senior years of college.
Biography – Who Is Kevin King?
Born on May 5, 1995, Kevin Charles King didn’t waste any time to start dabbling in the world of sports, playing basketball, football, and baseball.
Charles played defensive end at Bishop O’Dowd High School where he experienced a growth spurt from 5’7 to 6’2 in his junior year. He was named defensive MVP at the Oakland Nike Football Training Camp, leading his team in interceptions. He also received recognition for his track and field endeavors.
A highly rated prospect out of high school, Kevin opted for the University of Washington in 2013 where he majored in American ethnic studies and retail management. King played for the Washington Huskies in safety in his first year and sophomore year. He also played in almost every game except for the occasional illness and injuries he suffered.
Kevin King switched to cornerback in his junior year and continued to excel. However, an injury saw him sit out the Bowl game. His efforts for the campaign saw him become an honorable mention on the All-Pac-12 team, a position he maintained in his final year of college. He was also named to the Academic All-Pac-12 Team at the end of his final year after garnering 2 interceptions and 44 tackles.
His NFL Career
Ahead of the 2017 NFL Draft, many football analysts and publications talked up Kevin King’s high prospect. Lance Zierlein of NFL.com talked especially about how the unconventionally tall cornerback used his height to his advantage on the field of play and did not back down from physical battles. His weaknesses were also evaluated to be his footwork, tackling form, and speed.
King was drafted by the Green Bay Packers as the 33rd overall pick on the second day of the exercise. After a slight delay via an NFL rule, Kevin finally joined his new team and was put through the paces by cornerback coach Joe Whitt.
In his rookie season, he was involved in nine games, five of which came as starts. However, a shoulder injury threatened to scupper his season objectives. It was bad enough that he occasionally could not lift his arms above his head. After a period of trying to play through the pain, the cornerback was finally rested and put on the injured reserve, effectively ending his season. Shortly after, he went under the knife to fix the problem.
Other facts about Kevin King
1. Back in high school, Kevin King was named to the first-team All-NorCal and first-team Division three all-state by Maxpreps.com.
2. The tall cornerback stands at 6ft 3 in (1.91m) and weighs 91 kg (200 lb)
3. Kevin King showed his leadership ability from his days at Washington. Once, during a fall practice, the team’s performance was abysmal and he huddled his team to encourage them to up their game.
4. King’s off-field record is spanning clean. The Packers CB has never been in any trouble off the field. He has not been connected to any kind of controversy
5. In his final year of collegiate football, he memorably made an interception with one hand. This was arguably the most impressive play of the campaign.
6. Throughout 2016, the cornerback faced a whopping 64 targets but did not give up a single touchdown. In his final 28 college appearances, King only allowed one score.
7. Nothing much is known about Kevin’s family relationships. However, he let it slip during an interview that he is in a relationship with a lady known simply as Aaliyah.
8. According to various sources, King’s four-year deal with the Packers is worth over $7 million with a signing bonus of over $3.2 million and a 2017 cap hit of over $1.2 million.
9. Kevin King did something worthy of applause with his first check as an NFL player – he bought his mother a befitting house. According to his own social media posts, his mom has always wanted to own a fine home.