Although he is still relatively young, the award-winning filmmaker and social media star, Josh Kennedy – born Josh Ovalle – has achieved the kind of success that many far older than him can only dream of. His films including Two And A Quarter has been screened at more than 50 film festivals.
He made his first movie, a short film titled Minimum Wax when he was just 13. The movie became insanely successful, garnering over 500k views that the popular media outlet Huffington Post published an article about it. Additionally, it was screened at more than 20 film festivals across the globe.
As if his filmmaking success is not enough, being a millennial, he branched out into social media. Kennedy started with the defunct six seconds video website, Vine before moving over to YouTube where he has amassed a throng of subscribers. He is also active on Twitter and Instagram.
On the family front, his younger brother, Lucas Ovalle is also a social media star and actor. Read on to learn more about Josh Kennedy.
Josh Kennedy’s Bio And Personal Details
Josh Kennedy was born Josh Ovalle on the 21st of April 1998 in Seattle, Washington, the United States. His parents, Wernher and Rose Ovalle, both of whom are actors, raised him alongside his brothers – Elijah and Lucas. Elijah is an actor while Lucas is also a social media star, actor and filmmaker. He has a grandmother named Arcelia Kennedy.
Growing up, Josh was a homebody whose only hobby was baking. However, as electronic gadgets took over the place of toys and whatever it was that held his attention during his childhood years, a new passion was born. Kennedy discovered his interest in making films and narrating stories.
He then tapped into his Generation Z potentials to launch an internet career. He created an account on the six seconds video hosting service, Vine and started creating contents. Going forward, he felt the need to change his last name from Ovalle to Kennedy, probably to fit into his new status. After the short form video website was closed, he transferred his fame to YouTube.
Josh Kennedy was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). At the age of 13, Josh made his first film, Minimum Max which was about a boy named Max who suffers from ADHD. The film was released to rave reviews and went viral on various social media platforms including YouTube. It also garnered over 500k views, thus making Josh an instant celebrity.
Still, on its strings of success, Minimum Max was selected and screened at more than 20 film festivals. The film’s popularity skyrocketed when Huffington Post published an article about it. Drawing on the success of his first film, Kennedy released his sophomore film, Two And A Quarter in 2014 starring his brother, Lucas. It was only seven minutes long but became an instant hit and was screened at about 57 film festivals, including the Toronto International Film Festival. It was also lauded by critics and the audience as well. The film also won several awards such as the 2014 Audience Award at All American High School Film Festival.
Following the successes of his films, Josh ventured into events and shows promotion on MTV. He promoted a number of events including the 2015 MTV Movie Awards. The event was hosted by popular stand-up comedian and actress Amy Schumer.
Facts You Need To Know About Josh Kennedy
2. Josh Kennedy is 6 feet tall.
3. Josh Kennedy has done well for himself both as a filmmaker and a social media star. Though his net worth is still under review, considering the fame of his short films and his social media status, his earnings would be nothing short of amazing.
4. Before he ever thought of filmmaking, Josh Kennedy was into baking.
5. He changed his last name from Ovalle to Kennedy when he was still posting videos on the now defunct website, Vine.
6. Just like many other personal details of his life, Kennedy has kept his love life away from the media. In August 2016, he took to social media to wish a mystery girl happy GF day which left many speculating about who she was. He did not, however, address the rumors. He might possibly have a girlfriend but at this time, he is either keeping his personal life private or waiting for the right time to introduce her.