Joel Madden is a popular American singer, songwriter and record producer. To most people, he is simply known as a member of the Good Charlotte band as well as lead singer of the punk rock duo The Madden Brothers. Born into a troubled family, he fell in love with music at a tender age thereby using it as a means to escape the harsh realities of life.
His love for music led him into setting up a band alongside his twin brother Benji, with their sights set at performing at local bars and parties; they would be clearly astonished like the rest of us to see what they have achieved today.
Joel Madden’s Bio
Joel Madden was born on 11 March 1979 as Joel Ryan Combs alongside his twin brother Benjamin Levi Combs to his parents: Robbin Madden (mother) and Roger Combs (father) in Waldorf, Maryland, USA. Aside from his twin brother, he also has two other siblings: an older brother called Josh and a younger sister named Sarah. It’s very important to note that he changed his last name to Madden when his dad walked out of his life and that of his siblings. Growing up, he had his high school education at La Plata high school in LA Plata, Maryland.
After completion of his high school education in 1996, Madden alongside his brother Benjamin formed a punk rock band – Good Charlotte. Other members of the band at formation were Aaron Escolopio, Chris Wilson and Paul Thomas who all graduated from the La Plata High School. Initially, the band focused on playing at local bars and parties before going on to perform at the WHFS annual Rock Show Festival in 1991. In the year 2000, the band released its debut album titled Good Charlotte in 2000 with Joel Madden as lead singer.
The year 2002 can be regarded as Madden’s breakthrough year following the release of the Good Charlotte sophomore album titled “The Young and the Hopelessly” which was certified 3x platinum by the RIIA after selling 4.9 million copies worldwide. Within a short period of time, Madden became more popular than other members of the band as fans became attached to the sound of his melodic voice on every tune.
In 2010, Madden became even more popular after UNICEF made him its goodwill ambassador, as a result of that he contributed his talent to the remake of “We are the World” by Michael Jackson later that year following the disaster in Haiti. He went on to recorded further successes with the band until the 1st of September 2011 when the band decided to go on a hiatus.
Following the hiatus, Joel alongside his twin brother Benjamin decided to set up a pop-rock duo which they named The Madden Brothers, with Joel maintaining his status as a lead singer. On November 23, 2011, he transitioned from being just a singer to a vocal coach after being appointed by organizers of The Voice Australia to be a vocal coach on the first season of the reality show (He remained as a coach on the show until the fifth season).
Ever since the release of the Good Charlotte sophomore album, Joel Madden has been up to really big things. He has gone on to work with several artists such as five seconds of summer, Alex Kunnari & Heikki L, Machine Gun Kelly, and Wiz Khalifa to name a few. According to him, his greatest achievement so far was setting up his own record company in 2015 alongside his brother Benjamin which they called RDDA.
Wife – Nicole Richie
Don’t you just love Joel Madden? Well, if you don’t, then you will probably love his beautiful wife Nicole Richie. Nicole is a very talented fashion designer who also equals as an author, TV personality and actress highly revered for her role in the Fox TV hit series The Simple Life.
Not so much is known with regards to how they met each other, however, it is known that the pair started dating officially in December 2006 and eventually tied the knot on December 11, 2010, in a very low key wedding ceremony. The couple is parents to two beautiful kids – a girl named Kate Richie Madden (born in 2008) and a boy named Sparrow James Midnight Madden (born in 2009).
By virtue of being the lead vocalist of the band Good Charlotte as well as The Madden Brothers, much emphasis and speculation are placed on the net worth of Joel Madden. However, it’s important to note that despite his humble backgrounds the Maryland native has amassed a net worth of about $16 million.
This figure is as a result of successful album sales of the Good Charlotte band as well as proceeds from his clothing line – DCMA Collective, which is run by his elder brother Josh Madden. With a new album cooking, it’s only normal for one to expect a massive surge in his net worth in the nearest future.
Other Facts To Know
1. Growing up, Madden alongside his brother suffered from massive alienation and bullying in school simply because of their love for the punk rock genre which they tried to infuse in their everyday style, but that didn’t stop them from loving punk rock any less.
2. In an America filled with freedom of beliefs and several stars claiming to be either atheist, satanist, or scientologist; and also with humanists laughing at just the plain mention of God, Joel Madden stands out of the lot. He is a Christian and an ardent worshipper and follower of Christ,; he is also quick to announce his beliefs whenever the need arises. As a result of his Christian beliefs, he has several tattoos of Jesus Christ, the holy Mary as well as various verses of the Bible on his body.
3. Joel Madden is a vegetarian who works with The People for The Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) with the sole aim of promoting vegetarianism and enhancement of animal rights and protection.
4. He is an addicted smoker, who smokes several packs of cigarettes a day and as a result of that, he constantly chews toothpicks as a means of reducing the number of cigarettes he smokes daily.
5. The talented singer has a height of 5 feet 9 inches, coupled with a current body weight of 75 kg. His most impressive body features, however, has to be his perfectly shaped hazel eyes as well as his dark brown hair.