Jemima Kirke is an English-American actress best known for her role in the critically acclaimed television series – Girls where she played Jessa Johansson – one of the lead characters known for her unpredictable, brash and bohemian nature. Throughout the show, Jessa navigated the ups and downs of her life as a result of the many bad choices she made including a heroin and cocaine addiction, a short-lived ill-advised marriage and dating one of her best friend’s ex-boyfriends.
The show was created and produced by her close friend, Lena Dunham, who she also worked with on the movie – Tiny Furniture (which was also her feature film debut). She also appeared in the 2005 independent short film, Smile for the Camera.
Apart from appearing in movies and television shows, she also graced the music video for Dusk Till Dawn by Zayn Malik featuring Sia.
Besides acting, Jemima is also an artist.
Bio & Early Life
Jemima was born on the 26th of April, 1985, in London to English parents – Lorraine and Simon Kirke. Her mother, Lorraine, owned Geminola, a New York city vintage boutique that occasionally supplied outfits for the hit television show, Sex and The City. Her father, Simon, was a drummer for two well-known rock bands – ‘Free’ and ‘Bad Company’.
In her television show, Girls, the dress her character wore to get married was from Geminola. She has also appeared with her sisters in Teen Vogue, wearing clothes from the store.
Though born in London, Jemima was raised in New York City. While her mother is of Jewish descent, her father is of Scottish and Irish ancestry. Her maternal grandfather was the wealthy British businessman – Jack Dellal, commonly known as ‘Black Jack’.
Jemima Kirke comes from a talented and influential family – besides her parents, her siblings and cousins are involved in the arts and the entertainment industry. Her sister is Lola Kirke, an actress and currently the star of the Amazon television show, Mozart in the Jungle. Her other sister, Domino Kirke, is a singer and musician. Her cousins are model – Alice Dellal, Shoe designer – Charlotte Olympia Dellal and curator – Alexander Dellal.
She attended Saint Ann’s School, an arts-oriented private school in New York City. It was at Saint Ann’s school that she met Lena Dunham who hired her for Girls and Tiny Furniture. The two became friends at school and have remained friends since.
Family Life: Who is Jemima Kirke Husband? The Kids
The actress currently resides in East Hampton and Brooklyn. She was married to a lawyer, Michael Mosberg, from 2009 to 2017. While together, they had two children, a daughter – Rafaella Israel was born in 2010 while a son – Memphis Kirke was born in 2012.
In 2017, the two announced their separation. Since July 2017, Jemima Kirke has been in a relationship with Alex Cameron, an Australian singer-songwriter known for his high concept act.
Jemima Kirke has a total of 23 tattoos on her body. This should not be at all surprising considering she is not only an artist but also an expressive individual. Her tattoos are located on her neck, wrist, knuckle, hand, palm, upper arm, forearm and even her ear.
5 Facts About Jemima Kirke
1. Jemima attended the renowned Rhode Island School of Design for her bachelor’s degree. She received her Bachelor of Fine Arts in painting from the school. In 2011, she had an art exhibition through Skyline Projects called “A Brief History”. She also had a show between 2017 and 2018 at a lower East Side Gallery – Sargeant’s Daughters, where she displayed her portrait style paintings.
2. Fun fact: Jemima never intended to be an actress, she mostly considers herself as an artist. However, she began acting when she accepted roles to help her friends who couldn’t afford to hire real actors and actresses. For her role in Lena Dunham’s film, she did not receive any payment even though the film ended up being profitable. Jemima Kirke and a couple of Lena’s other friends were asked to join the movie as a favour to Lena since there was not enough money in the budget to hire professional actors.
3. Besides Zayn’s music video for Dusk till Dawn, she has also appeared in several other music videos including Rival Schools’ Wring It Out, which was directed by Jordan Galland, an American musician and filmmaker. Jordan also directed the actress in her first short movie – Smile For The Camera.
4. In 2017, she appeared in Mick Jagger’s music video for his song Gotta Get a Grip which was directed by Saam Farahmand, a British music video director.
5. She has also appeared in several of her boyfriend’s – Alex Cameron’s music videos including Stranger’s Kiss and Studmuffin96.