Jaylen Brown has come a long way in a rather short while as a National Basketball Association star who plays professionally with the Boston Celtics. Having made the 2016 NBA Draft, he has joined the list of young and great balling basketball players in the club such as Jayson Tatum and a good number of others. He has drawn a lot of interest, having started 70 of the first 70 games he played for the Celtics in the 2017-2018 season. Here is all to know about him.
Jaylen Brown Bio
Brown was born on October 24, 1996, in Marietta, Georgia, and it was here that he was raised alongside a brother, Quenton Brown. One interesting thing about him is that he was raised in a family that is very much into sports. This is as while his father, Marselles Brown is a boxer, his elder brother is an American football defensive lineman.
He was brought up by his single mother, Mechalle Brown, with the help of his grandmother. Even though he continued to play while growing up, the emphasis for his mother who had obtained a Ph.D., was for him to get educated.
For his education, the NBA star attended the Joseph Wheeler High School from where he went to the University of California, Berkeley. As it is with many other professional basketball players, he has played the game while he was still a student.
Scout.com, 247Sports.com, and ESPN all rated him a five-star recruit from his playing days in his high school, while he was rated 4-star from his college playing.
Jaylen began his NBA professional career in 2016 when he made the 2016 Draft and signed a contract with the Boston Celtics that would see him remain with the club for the next 3 years.
During the 2016-2017 season, he played in 78 games, making 20 starts. Thanks to the effort that he put in recording an average of 6.6 points per game, he was made the NBA All-Rookie Second Team at the end of the season.
The 2017-2018 season was even a greater one for him having recorded double career highs in his first three games; 25 points and 27 points respectively. Although he would be forced to miss a couple of weeks as a result of a concussion he suffered, he would go on to become Celtics youngest player to net up to 30 points or more. He scored 30 points against the Milwaukee Bucks, and then 34 points.
Salary and Net Worth
Following the contract he signed with the Celtics in 2016, Jaylen Brown reached an agreement of over $14 million dollars in the 3 years that he would be with the team. His annual salary which began at almost $5 million dollars for the 2016-2017 seasons as well as the 2017-2018 seasons, will move to over $5 million, $6 million, and 8million in the subsequent 3 seasons to come till the 2020-2021 season.
His present net worth is estimated at over $5 million dollars. While a large chunk of his earnings is from his sports, he has also made some from endorsement deals he has signed with brands like Adidas.
- His father, Marselles Otis Brown was a boxing heavyweight who retired in 2016 after being a pro boxer since 1989. At the moment, he is a boxing commissioner in Hawai and a health-wellness expert.
- While his mother lives in suburban Atlanta, his father is still working on the boxing scene in Hawaii.
- His brother, Quenton brown who was born on April 4, 1992, has been playing football for the North Texas Mean Green football since 2013.
- The NBA young star represented the United States at the Under 18 FIBA Americas where he won the gold medal alongside the team.
- While sports is his first love, he has not stopped learning. He studies things such as philosophy and languages.
- Jaylen is a vegetarian.
- He is also an introvert and what many have come to refer to as a scholar.
- He has a YouTube channel, Jaylen Brown, which has over 15 thousand subscribers. He shares videos on self-help and motivation.
Height and body weight
As it is the signature of most basketball players, they have it as far as height and body weight are concerned. It is not different with Brown. He has an athletic build that will help him succeed in almost all other sports.
He has a 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) in height and a body weight of 225 lb (102 kg). What is even more interesting is that his brother also has a similar great body build. The two brothers got this from their father who stands at a massive 7-feet.