The Korean pop music industry is constantly evolving and growing bigger by the day, but even with all the artists that come and go, there are some names that seemed destined to last a very long time. Hyolyn is one of those names. The South Korean singer, songwriter, and actress has made a name for herself in the entertainment industry, achieving success and building a large and loyal fanbase along the way. Hyolyn rose to fame as the leader of the Kpop girl band SISTAR, which made their debut in 2010 and was formed by Starship Entertainment. She was also a member of the group’s sub-unit Sistar19. In 2017, SISTAR disbanded, but Hyolyn kept pursuing her solo music career.
Despite the heavy competition that exists in the Kpop music scene, Hyolyn has managed to rise to the top, becoming one of the most popular Kpop acts in the business right now. Many of her songs have debuted very high on notable music charts in South Korea and beyond. Hyolyn’s music has received high praise from several quarters. She has also picked up numerous nominations including nominations from World Music Awards, MNet Asian Music Awards, Seoul International Youth Film Festival, and Golden Disk Awards.
As an actress, Hyolyn starred in season 2 of the Korean drama, Dream High, as one of the main characters. Her performance was acclaimed by critics by viewers and alike.
Who Is Hyolyn and What’s Her Age?
The Kpop star was born Kim Hyo-Jung on the 11th of December, 1990. Her birthplace is in Incheon, South Korea. She was born prematurely and was sick for most of her infancy and through her childhood years. She suffered from a complicated form of biliary atresia, resulting in multiple surgeries, intussusception, and the removal of her gallbladder. However, Hyolyn has long since recovered and has been enjoying good health for many years now. She has only one sibling, a younger sister named Kim Hye-Jung.
Right from when she was a little girl, Hyolyn loved singing and dancing. By the time she was old enough, she began applying and going for auditions. Luck eventually shone on her during her second audition for JYP Entertainment, where she came first and was set to make her debut with a group alongside Jiuen, Uji, and Hani, but the plans were never realized. Hyolyn departed from JYP to join Starship Entertainment after her audition with the latter proved successful. Starship then formed SISTAR in 2010 with Hyolin at the head of the group which quickly became successful and popular.
Hyolyn’s incredible singing voice and her talent led to her being hired to create and sing OST tracks for several Korean dramas such as Master’s Sun, My Love from the Star, Live Up To Your Name, Black Knight: The Man Who Guards Me, Money Flower, and Dream High 2, which she also starred in. Hyolyn has also performed at several prestigious events and on television shows over the years.
Her solo music career kicked off on November 26, 2012, when she released the album Love & Hate. The album’s single, One Way Love, placed number one on the Gaon Music Chart and Billboard Kpop Hot 100, while Lonely placed at number three and four on both charts respectively. Hyolin has collaborated with several Kpop and international artists over the course of her career. After SISTAR disbanded in 2017, Hyolin left JYP Entertainment to start her own production company called Brid3.
Height And Other Interesting Facts about Hyolyn
The gorgeous Kpop star and actress stands at a height of 5 feet 5 inches (164 cm). Below are other facts to know about her:
1. Hyolyn used to have a debilitating social anxiety disorder and once spent two months in her room without leaving it because she was terrified of having to deal with people.
2. Despite being broken up from her former band members, Hyolin still maintains a close relationship with them and they all show up to support one another at concerts and events.
3. She stirred the pot of controversy at the KBS Drama Awards in 2018 when she wore a silver one-piece outfit that thoroughly showed off her curves. Critics claimed the outfit was too sexually charged and practically left her butt naked.
4. Hyolyn was accused of being a bully in middle school causing a bit of an uproar online. She eventually reached a secret agreement with the person who claimed to have been victimized by the singer.
5. She has a prominent tattoo of a cross with some inscriptions beneath it on her body. The tattoo is meant to cover up a large surgery scar she got when she was a child.