Maybe not the newest, but one of the finest voices you will ever hear in the music world aside Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran is that of Hozier, the Irish musical star whose 2014 thought-provoking and breakthrough single “Take Me to Church” took the world by storm. The hit song ushered him into limelight and stardom by gaining a Grammy awards nomination as the song of the year in 2015. He is a talented songwriter blessed with a scintillating voice which echoes out from the northern Atlantic and across the world.
Hozier’s Bio and Life History
The singer was born Andrew Hozier-Byrne in Bray, County Wicklow, Ireland on 17th March 1990 to his father John Byrne, a local blues musician and his mother Raine Hozier-Byrne, an artist. He was raised alongside his brother Jon Hozier-Byrne.
Hozier began writing songs at about 15 years of age. It was also at that age that he joined his father’s local blues band. Before he began studying music in Trinity College, Dublin, he attended Delgany National School and St. Gerard’s School. Unfortunately, he left the college half-way through in his first year to record a series of demos for Universal Music.
While he was still in College, he joined the Trinity Orchestra and became a member of the Choral group “Anuna” from 2009-2012; appearing as a soloist in their 2012 illumination singing “Last Chanson de Mardi Gras”. Hozier also toured, sang, and performed in Norway and the Netherlands with the group “Internationally”.
In 2013, Hozier released his first ever EP “Take Me to Church” and released the single’s video in September which immediately went viral after it was shared by Stephen Fry and appeared on Reddit’s front page. The track was a hit; achieving global recognition and topping music charts around the world, it gained multi-platinum certifications and Grammy nominations.
In 2014, he released his second EP titled “From Eden” and then his self-titled album “Hozier” in September 2014. The hit song of the Album ”Take me to Church” got a 2015 Grammy Awards nomination for song of the year. He also won the VH1 Artist of the year in November 2015.
In September 2018, he released another EP “Nina Cried Power” which features a collaboration with Mavis Staples. Another album from Hozier, a second album titled “Wasteland Baby!” is expected to be released on March 19th, 2019 as announced by Hozier himself.
As stated, the parents of the singer are John Byrne and Raine Hozier-Byrne. There is also his younger brother, Jon Hozier-Byrne who is a film director popular for The Omega Male (2014), Little Hours: Tired (2015), and Beer and Board Games (2015 to 2016).
The Hozier’s family is full of musical talents and this is the main background that the singer built upon.
Even though he is not married, the Irish singer has been in a number of relationships in the past. His present relationship is with Irish and American actress, Saoirse Ronan.
Thing You Need to Know About Him
1. “Take me to church” was the most streamed song in 2014. According to Spotify, the song was streamed 82 million times in just a year.
2. His Father was a heavy influence on him. He revealed that he got his passion for music from his father and his taste is from his record collection.
3. As stated, his mother Raine is an artist and the inspiration behind his album/EP art designs and covers.
4. According to Hozier, lyrics take a great deal of time to write. “Take me to church” took him a year to write.
5. His “Take me to church” and “Cherry Wine” music videos are political. The two videos made strong political statements to raise awareness on Gay rights and domestic violence.
7. As regards his height, the Irish singer and songwriter is a man who has a very good height. He is among the tallest you may find on a stage. He stands at 6 feet 5 inches.
8. Hozier does not have many works to his name, but what he has are very successful ones. It is thanks to this that he has come to amass for himself a good fortune. He has a net worth that is estimated at $5 million. The musician made this mostly from his music.