Being a fine Danish actress, Connie Nielsen is popularly known and celebrated for her award-winning role in Gladiator, and for playing Hippolyta, Queen of the mighty tribe of women in Wonder Woman. The stunning actress has lit up big screens and millions of hearts with her eclectic performances. She has worked as a singer, dancer, model, and actress in a professional career that has spanned nearly three decades. Let’s catch up with her a bit…
Who Is Connie Nielsen?
It’s no secret that the Danish actress was named Connie Inge-Lise Nielsen after she was birthed on July 3, 1965. She was born in a town called Frederikshavn in Denmark and to a father who worked as a bus driver. Connie’s mum worked as an insurance clerk while acting and writing musical reviews on the side. Her parents were Mormons and she was raised that way.
Connie began her career very early. When she was 15, she appeared on several local shows, asserting her intent to nurse a career in the industry. At 18, she decided to intensify the pursuit of her dreams and moved to Paris to work as a model and actress. More work came her way over time and she began to study at a drama school in Italy, scoring a seat in master classes with a highly reputable teacher. She remained in Italy for years before moving to the United States sometime in the 90s.
A short while after moving to the US, Connie landed her first big role. It was for The Devil’s Advocate movie wherein she starred opposite Keanu Reeves and Al Pacino. This ushered in roles in movies like Soldier, Rushmore, and Permanent Midnight for the actress.
The big break that marked her success as a serious actress came when she starred in Gladiator as Lucilla. She got several award nominations for that movie and it led to more appearances on the silver screen such as in Mission to Mars, The Hunted, and Basic. She has also featured in some foreign language films like Demonlover and Brødre.
Some people might recognize Connie Nielsen from her brief run in TV series like Law & Order, The Good Wife, and The Following. She later became part of the DC Universe as the leader of the great Amazon women, playing Hippolyta in Wonder Woman.
Her Net Worth
The fabulous actress has certainly made a name for herself on and off screen, amassing substantial wealth for herself in the process. She is estimated to have a net worth of about 8 million dollars.
Boyfriend or Husband, Is She Married or Dating?
The gorgeous actress has never been married in her life, although she has had quite a few meaningful and lengthy relationships. She used to date Fabio Sartor, the famous actor who starred in Passion of Christ, while she was living and working in Italy. The pair had a child together, a son they named Sebastian. Shortly after they broke up, Connie began seeing Huey Morga, the American musician, but that ended too.
In 2004, she began dating Lars Ulrich, the drummer guy in the band Metallica. The relationship lasted for 8 years and saw to the birth of Connie Nielsen’s second child, another son named Thaddeus Ulrich Nielsen. Since that breakup in 2014, Connie has remained single and has avoided getting into any new relationships.
5 Lesser Known Facts About The Danish Actress?
1. Connie Nielsen has an edge over most people, she can speak 8 different languages. Many haven’t properly mastered the one language they can speak, and here is a woman who can converse freely in 8. She is fluent in English, Danish, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish, and Norwegian. She picked up all of these tongues while traveling and living abroad.
2. She once won an award for Best Actress at the Danish Academy Award, this was for her role in Brødre. That performance also won her two other awards including recognition at the San Sebastian Film festival.
3. Connie starred alongside Uma Thurman and Charlotte Ginsburg in Nymphomaniac, which movie critics and audiences found shocking and disturbing. Connie’s sweaty poster for the movie did nothing to help its reputation and it might be her lowest rated movie appearance to date.
4. She doesn’t mind going the extra mile to nail a movie role even if it involves shaving most of her hair off to really do a character justice like she had to do in Mission to Mars.
5. The actress is obsessed with sunglasses. They are her favorite accessories and she owns over 200 different pairs.