He may not be a household name in the entertainment arena yet but this Asian-American actor, Charles Melton has garnered quite an acclaim for his portrayal of the iconic Reggie on the CW’s series, Riverdale.
Charles made his first appearance in the second season of the series as Reggie Mantle replacing Ross Butler in the role. He, however, has been in the media prior to his role in the series. The man is also a professional model and is a hit target for ads.
Charles Melton Biography (Age and Ethnicity)
The famed actor of the TV series, Riverdale was born on January 4, 1991, in Juneau, Alaska. He was, however, raised in Manhattan, Kansas. Charles Melton is the son of Phil Melton (father) and Sukyong Melton (mother) and he has a sister, Tammie Melton.
Melton is of mixed ethnic origin. His heritage goes beyond him being an Asian-American as he is of Korean and Caucasian ancestry. A part of his growing family is his nephew, Sean.
Charles attended Kansas State University where he played football for 2 years on their Division 1 team. Nevertheless, he left to carve a career in acting and was discovered at the Applause Rising Talent Showcase (ARTS) in Orlando, Florida.
In 2012 during the New York Fashion Week, he made his modeling debut walking for Park & Ronen and VLOVNew. Since then, he has participated in the Dolce & Gabbana lookbook and has also been featured on the cover of Prestige magazine.
He made his acting debut in the season 5 and episode 14 (New New York) of the TV show, Glee (2014) as a male model. His television credits include American Horror Story: Hotel (2011) where he played the short role of Mr. Wu and Reggie on CW’s Riverdale (2016).
Charles Melton was found as the perfect match to replace Ross in the pivotal role of Reggie from the season 2 of the series after he (Ross) left the series to focus on his role in the Netflix’s 13 Reason Why. Of course, he filled in the creator’s (Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa) criteria for the role; sexy and funny. The role is considered his biggest role so far.
As is expected anyway, Charles dealt with online hate when he scored the role of Reggie but chose not to react to it because he expected it considering that the character is an iconic one. Such comments and reactions were going to come either way; whether you are doing well or otherwise he reasoned and decided not to let those bother him in the least.
Reggie’s fans were excited that the first one was replaced by another Asian actor as they loved the diversity of the character. His character as a loudmouth high school bully couldn’t have been portrayed any better.
Charles portrayed Colin in his film debut, the 2015 short film, Bad Friend. He has appeared in other films and they include, Face Without Eyes (2015) in the role of Doc, The Channel (2016) as Chris. His latest role is that of Cage a supporting role on the 2018 action film The Thinning: New World Order co-starring Logan Paul.
Other Things To Know About The Actor
1. His birth sign is Capricorn.
2. The actor’s hobbies including watching food channels and all the foods he could not eat.
3. Charles’ favorite piece of clothing is either his Pokemon PJs or Dolce & Gabanna jean jacket with a bunch of beaded studs all over it.
4. His favorite artist is William Hung from American Idol and his favorite movie is A Knight’s Tale.
5. Having played football at the university for 2 years, he has an athletic body and regularly goes to the gym to keep his body in a perfect gorgeous shape.
6. The Riverdale actor is 1 inch taller than 6 feet and weighs 72 kg (159 lbs).
7. He was the face of Mac Cosmetics’ first makeup line for men.
8. Charles Melton has worked with Hollister, Jeff Slater, John Russo and Designare Homme in his modeling career.
9. He has a good rapport with his Riverdale costars. They hit it off almost immediately and he shares beautiful and cozy friend pictures with KJ Apa, Camila Mendes, and Casey Cott. The bond seems to be stronger, however, between him and Apa as they are a total bromance already.
10. Charles described his scoring the role of Reggie as surreal in an Instagram post.