The Brian Banks movie is a phenomenal biographical drama about a young black athlete who loses everything after he is falsely accused of rape. It tells the story of the titular character as he struggles to prove his innocence in a justice system that is rigged against people whose skin are of the darker shade. It’s a deeply moving and inspiring movie about determination and not losing hope in spite of the odds that seem stacked against you.
The film invites viewers to ponder what the cost of lies is and what justice might look like if society does not weigh the measure of truth against people’s skin color. It is a movie that will stay with you long after the screen goes blank.
Who Are The Cast Of Brian Banks?
Aldis Hodge as Brian Banks
Aldis Hodge delivers an emotional performance as Brian Banks, a football linebacker with a bright future, who has his dreams and aspirations cut short when he is falsely accused of rape by a schoolmate at Polytechnic High School. This leaves him fighting to prove his innocence in a biased justice system. It is his word against the girl’s and her mother, who are both white and intent on using the case to line their pockets with money.
Following bad legal advice, he was looking at 41 years in prison, but Brian never gave up hope. He was determined to clear his name no matter what and he was eventually able to do so after many years with the help of the California Innocence Project.
Prior to starring in Brian Banks, Aldis Hodge had appeared in dozens of movies and television series, notable amongst which are Leverage, Friday Night Lights, Hidden Figures, The Ladykillers, A Good Day to Die Hard, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, City of Angels, and Straight Outta Compton.
Greg Kinnear as Justin Brooks
Brooks is the head of the local branch of the California Innocence Project. In the beginning, he is reluctant to touch Brian Banks’ case because he recognized that the chances of winning the case were virtually nonexistent. He eventually relents and decides to give Brian a chance after the latter convinces him to do so.
Greg Kinnear is an accomplished actor and television personality with over three decades of career experience. He has been featured in films and shows like Sabrina, As Good as It Gets, The Matador, We Were Soldiers, Little Miss Sunshine, Same Kind of Different as Me, The Red Sea Diving Resort, House of Cards, Modern Family, and Friends.
Xosha Roquemore as Kennisha Rice
The actress plays Kennisha Rice, the girl who frames Brian Banks for a crime he did not commit so that she and her mother can extort the justice system. After suing the Long Beach Unified School District for being an unsafe environment, she was awarded $1.5 million as settlement.
Xosha’s other screen appearances include The Mindy Project, Precious, The Female Brain, Rivers Wash Over Me, I’m Dying Here, Rescue Me, Nurse Jackie, Southland, and Roseanne.
Melanie Liburd as Karina
Karina is a personal trainer whom Brian Banks becomes romantically entangled with after he leaves prison. You might recognize Liburd for her role as Zoe in This Is Us, as well as her appearances in Strike Back, Game of Thrones, Dark Matter, The Grinder, and Gypsy.
Tiffany Dupont as Alissa Bjerkhoel
Dupont’s character is one of the lawyers with the California Innocence Project who worked tirelessly to ensure that Bank’s unjust conviction was overturned. Her other works include roles in movies and shows such as Cheaper by the Dozen, One Night with the King, The Work and the Glory, The Bedford Diaries, Greek, The Big Bang Theory, and Murder in the First.
Sherri Shepherd as Leomia
The talented actress plays Leomia, the mother of the wrongfully accused Brian Banks. She fought tooth and nail to ensure her son was freed from the charges of kidnapping and sexual assault leveled against him.
Other Facts About The Brian Banks Movie
1. The Brian Banks movie is a true-life story. The real Brian served a six-year sentence in jail for crimes he did not commit, was released on parole, and had to register as a sex offender before his conviction was overturned in 2012.
2. The director of the movie, Tom Shadyac is known for making comedy films such as Evan Almighty, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Patch Adams, and The Nutty Professor.
3. The movie primarily employs indigenes of Memphis as cast and crew members. It was also filmed in Memphis.
4. The real-life Brian Banks has continued his dream of becoming a professional athlete. After having tryouts for several NFL teams, he briefly played for the Atlanta Falcons in 2013. The next year, he was hired by the NFL Department of Operations.
5. After his conviction was overturned, the Long Beach Unified School District sued his accuser and won $2.6 million as settlement.
6. The Brian Banks movie will be hitting the movie theaters on the 9th of August 2019 and it is one movie that you cannot afford to miss.