People have had many reasons to think highly of Archie Miller but the man is probably most admired for his coaching philosophy. The Beaver County Sports Hall of Famer hails from a family that has nurtured a passion for basketball over several decades. Beyond the basic facts of Miller’s bio, let’s learn about his family and other facts.
Who Is Archie Miller?
Mostly known as a college basketball head coach, Ryan Joseph Archie Miller also played the game albeit not at a professional level. Born in Beaver Fall, Pennsylvania on the 30th of October and in 1978, Mr. Miller, as at the time of this writing, is the head coach of Indiana University’s Hoosiers men’s basketball team. It was sometime in March 2017 that he assumed this position.
Before he started coaching the Hoosiers, he had a long stint as the head coach of the University of Dayton’s Flyers. Guiding the men’s basketball team from 2011 to 2017, Archie Miller was able to turn around the fortune of the team for good. His impact was very robust to such extent he became a finalist for 2015’s Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year Award. Although instructing the Dayton’s Flyers was his first shot as a head coach, it wasn’t the beginning of his coaching career.
To the best of our knowledge, he started off as an assistant coach with the Hilltoppers of the Western Kentucky University. This was in 2003. He soon joined the Wolfpacks of the North Carolina State University and then the Sun Devils of Arizona State University from where he moved to Ohio State. He would later serve the Wildcats of the University of Arizona from 2009 to 2011.
Archie’s romance with basketball has been traced back to his days in high school. It is known that his father, John Miller, coached the Blackhawk High School team and, that Archie and his brother Sean Miller both played for their dad. The Hoosiers head coach has alluded to the fact that he learned most of his coaching doctrine from John.
When Archie Miller was set to move on to college, he settled for North Carolina State University and eventually graduated from the institution with a degree in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism. That aside, he played for the Wolfpack and was able to pull off stats ranked among the top 10 in the team’s history. Archie was a playmaker for the Wolfpack and his performance earned him a spot on the ACC Championship All-Tournament Team.
His Wife And Family
As mentioned earlier, this coach’s family lives for basketball. His father John Miller was a high school coach and his brother Sean is the head coach of the University of Arizona’s men’s basketball team – the Arizona Wildcats. Like Archie, Sean has a fine college career as a basketballer. He was an exceptional point guard for the Panthers of the University of Pittsburgh from 1987 to 1992. While Sean attained a great height as a B-baller in college, he has achieved more as a coach. He has thrice been honored as Pac-12 Coach of the Year among other accomplishments.
It didn’t stop at father and sons, Archie Miller’s sister Lisa Miller equally took the game seriously. Like her brothers, she equally played Division I college basketball.
Archie’s time as a basketballer with the Wolfpack of NC State would remain a memorable period of his life. The coach met the woman we now know as his wife at the university. Records have it that Morgan Nicole Cruse Miller was a member of the school’s track and field team. She and Archie started dating while still in college and eventually became life partners sometime in 2003. Their union has been blessed with a daughter they named Leah Grace, she was born in 2004.
Facts About The Basketball Coach
1. Even though this coach is known as Archie, his real name is Ryan Joseph Miller. Archie is just a nickname that stuck. It is said that he earned the name from the 1970’s American TV series – All in the Family. Apparently, his demeanour was akin to that of Archie Bunker, a character in the series.
2. Reports have it that his mother uttered “Oh my God! Red again?” when she learned that her son has been appointed the head coach of the Hoosiers of Indiana. She was referring to the team’s colour; most of the teams her sons have coached have predominantly red apparels.
3. Like Archie, his brother Sean and their father John are Beaver County Sports Hall of Famers.
4. Archie and his brother were part of the coaching staff of the USA Basketball’s U19 World Championship. Sean was the head coach and he brought in Archie to assist him in training the team. The brothers also coached together at Arizona.
5. Sean is Archie’s role model.