Have you ever wondered how Anthea Turner became a successful personality in the television industry? Well, it’s quite obvious that she is very hard working and passionate about her job, so we are not surprised that she secured a spot on the list of the highest-paid female television presenters in the United Kingdom. Besides being an amazing presenter, she makes extra cash as a journalist and has also made appearances on several notable shows. Of all her projects in the media industry, Turner is mostly recognized for presenting shows such as Blue Peter (1992–1994), Top of the Pops (1988–1991), GMTV (1994–96), and Perfect Housewife (2006–2007).
Bio – How Old Is Anthea Turner?
The English television presenter is above 50 years old even though she doesn’t look it. She was born as Anthea Millicent Turner on 25th May 1960, in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England, to Brian Turner and Jean Turner. She received her high school education at the St Dominic’s High School for Girls, Brewood, South Staffordshire (a direct grant grammar Catholic school). Turner has two sisters called Wendy Turner-Webster and Ruth. The latter passed away at the age of 15 while the former is a presenter, journalist, and animal welfare campaigner.
Anthea started out as a runner on BBC Radio Stoke, after which she became a member of Bruno Brookes’ rap crew. Not long after, Bruno, who was the breakfast show presenter at the time, started having feelings for Turner. He later hired an agent called Peter Powell through his management company.
The presenter switched to the television after she was hired by Sky Channel and Music Box. Her first job was the presentation of live music programmes which she did from July 1986 to 1989. Anthea’s career took a turn for good after she debuted on national television on the BBC programme called ‘But First This’. Other programmes/shows she presented include ‘Top of the Pops’ (October 1988 to May 1991), GMTV (July 1994 to 24 December 1996), ‘Blue Peter’ (27 June 1992 to 29 June 1994; a children’s television show), and Totally Live on Music Box (a pan-European music channel).
Anthea’s career nosedived into a decline after her romantic relationship with Grant Bovi swept through the media. And in an attempt to revive her career, the English presenter began running a Saturday evening programme called ‘Your Kids Are in Charge’ with her sister in 2000 on BBC One. The Stoke-on-Trent-born media personality eventually made a television comeback in February 2006 on BBC Three with the programme, ‘Anthea Turner: Perfect Housewife’, after which she published three related books.
On 12 October 2015, she participated in a special celebrity edition of the programme, First Dates, organized by Channel 4 to help the charity home, Stand Up to Cancer. This was after she was dropped as the host of Channel 5′ Health Lottery draws on August 23, 2015.
What Is Her Net Worth?
Anthea Turner reportedly has a net worth of more than £15 million, as of 2018. In 2016, she was sued for £1.6million by her ex-husband (Grant Bovey)’s creditors after they sold their Surrey mansion in 2009. This followed her husband’s huge financial crisis.
Everything You Need To Know About The Presenter
1. Anthea Turner once won a lawsuit against BBC after she suffered temporary hearing loss and burns during a motorbike stunt that went wrong on the television programme, UP2U.
2. She has worked with notable media sensations in the course of her career. Among them are television presenters Noel Edmond, and Gordon Kennedy. She worked with these two on 19 November 1994 when she hosted the first National Lottery draw on BBC One.
3. Turner rose to the rank of the second highest-paid female television presenter in the United Kingdom behind Vauxhall, Liverpool-born multi-hyphenate Cilla Black, in 1996, after she joined ITV television channel and began anchoring the travel show, ‘Wish You Were Here…?’
4. While she was working at GMTV, she was fired from her job after her colleague/co-presenter Eamonn Holmes threatened to leave if the GMTV management fails to sack her.
5. The presenter has an autobiography titled ‘Fools Rush In’, which was released in November 2000. The book entered the bestseller charts at No. 531 after her publishers sold 451 copies of it in the first week of its release. According to records, Turner was paid an estimated £400,000 advance for the book.
6. She is a former Celebrity Big Brother housemate. She was the third contestant to be evicted from the reality show following the exit of Chris Eubank and Vanessa Feltz.
7. She has also made it to Channel 5’s show Celebs In Solitary. She participated in the show in the year 2018.
8. Turner is a two-time divorcee. Her first attempt at marriage was with former DJ Peter Powell, whom he married in 1990. They divorced eight years later, leading the television presenter to move in with Grant Bovey, the CEO of Imagine Homes at the time. Despite Grant being married with three kids, Turner went ahead to marry him on August 23, 2000. Sadly, they separated two years later after the presenter found out that Bovey had cheated on her. Not long after their separation, the couple reconciled but their reconciliation didn’t last long, they separated for the second time in August 2013 and officially divorced in October 2015.