Now here is a pleasant blast from the past, today it’s all about Abraham Lincoln’s height, weight, and body measurements, but we all know that there is so much more depth and dimension to him as a person. That is why we are going to take some time out to look at a few facts about the 16th president of the United States of America.
- He was born Abraham Lincoln on February 12, 1809, in a one-room log cabin on the Sinking Spring Farm near Hodgenville, Kentucky. Sadly, he was assassinated on April 15, 1865.
- As you must have noticed, the late president had only two names. He was born Abraham Lincoln and he remained so throughout his life.
- He is the only president in the history of the United States of America to hold a patent. He invented a device to free steamboats that ran aground.
- Illinois is often referred to as the ‘land of Lincoln’, but the president did not move there until he was 21, it was in Indiana that the young Lincoln spent most of his formative years.
- If you think that a business tycoon becoming the POTUS is weird, get a load of this. Lincoln was an actual wrestler for quite some time and he was a pretty good one too. He is actually enshrined in the Wrestling Hall of Shame as he only lost a match out of an approximate of 300.
- You may have heard that he was actually a lawyer, well he practiced without a law degree, seeing as he only received 18 months of formal education and it definitely takes longer than that to obtain a degree.
- After his death, grave robbers actually attempted to steal his body, the plan was to hold the corpse for a ransom of $200,000 and obtain the release of the gang’s best counterfeiter from prison. The plan was foiled by the Secret Service, who finally protected him, even if it was in death. So now, his body is encased in steel and lies 10 feet under.
- Let’s end on this note if you’re looking for who to thank for Thanksgiving day, look no further. Lincoln actually established Thanksgiving day as a National holiday.
Now that we are done with that, let us move on to the topic at hand beginning with Abraham Lincoln’s height.
Abraham Lincoln’s Height
As far as Presidents of the United States go, he’s definitely the tallest, standing at 6 feet 4 inches. Even as a child, he was tall, he had described himself as ‘though very young, he was large of his age’. He did not clock the full 6 feet 4 inches till he was 21, though according to medical science, there is a secret behind his growth spurt.
According to the Telegraph, new evidence suggests his thin, 6ft 4-inch frame, may have been caused by a rare genetic disorder called Marfan syndrome. The disorder affects the body by elongating the limbs, fingers and can cause heart problems. So how exactly did they deduce that the long deceased president suffered this disorder?
Well, it’s technology at work again, apparently, Oxford University developed a computer program which maps facial features to spot rare genetic conditions, so all that was needed for the diagnosis was a picture of good ‘ol Abe. His height is pretty impressive because he lived in a time where the average height was roughly 5 feet 6 inches and even till date he is still the tallest president of America.
So, here is a list of notable personalities who could have stood shoulder to shoulder with him. Drake, Stephen King, Liam Neeson, Steven Seagal and Michael Phelps all share Abraham Lincoln’s height.
Abraham Lincoln’s Weight
Though he had some pretty good muscle structure as a young man, Abraham Lincoln had always been thin. There’ are some questionable claims that the former POTUS weighed over 90 kilograms in 1931, but it clashes with some more reliable statements over time. Apparently, Henry Lee Ross stated that Lincoln never weighed over 79 kilograms in his life.
In addition to that David Turnham recollected that Abraham weighed about 72 kilograms in 1830 and a neighbor of his from New Salem named Camron crudely described him using the words ‘thin as a beanpole and ugly as a scarecrow’. So what did the 16th POTUS say his weight was? According to him, he weighed 81.5 kilograms in 1859 and he is believed to have weighed a lot less during his actual presidency.
Abraham Lincoln’s Body Measurements
Height: 6 feet 4 inches
Weight: 81.5 kilograms
Body Build: Slim
Body Measurements: Not available
Feet/Shoe Size: 14 US, 47 EU, 13.5 UK