In the world of film, horror movies are in a class of their own, and as the film industry has grown especially in terms of film making techniques, there has been an increase in the quality of horror films that are being churned out. In 2017, the film 47 Meters Down was released and it fits the trope of the horror films that feature surviving shark attacks, a trope that began with the Jaws franchise. When 47 Meters Down was released, the box office success it recorded encouraged the producers to make a sequel which would be titled 47 Meters Down: Uncaged. To learn more about this film, keep reading.
Release Date – When Would 47 Meters Down: Uncaged Be Released?
Before this film was finally called 47 Meters Down: Uncaged, it had gone through two name changes. When the making of the sequel was announced on the 8th of September, 2017, it was called 48 Meters Down, an extra meter was added to the first title making it 48 meters.
Eleven months after the making of the sequel had been announced, a trailer was released. The trailer revealed that the film will be called 47 Meters Down: The Next Chapter. The filmmakers had maintained the original number of meters and added a suffix. But this was just the first trailer of the film. Three months after the first trailer, a second one was released and it bore the title, 47 Meters Down: Uncaged. The makers finally settled for this title and the release date is slated for the 16th of August, 2019. This date applies to only theatres in the United States and the United Kingdom but by the end of its release month, it should be available in theatres worldwide.
Who Are The Cast Members?
The first film had a total of six people in the cast with four of the six, as principal characters. This sequel is expected to have nine cast members. Unlike the first film where a pair of sisters get stuck underwater in a diving cage, this time it will be a group of four girls – Mia, Sasha, Alexa and Nicole who are trapped in underwater caves and have to battle with sharks. The four teenage girls will be played by Sophie Nelisse, Brianne Tju, Corinne Foxx and Sistine Stallone.
Of the four, two are Hollywood royalty and these two are Corinne Foxx and Sistine Stallone. The former is the daughter of the actor/musician Jamie Foxx while the latter is Sylvester Stallone’s second daughter. Nelisse, Fox, and Tju have already had careers in acting, but for Stallone, this film is her debut in acting.
Sophie Nelisse is a Canadian actress and of the four lead actresses can be described as having the longest career in acting. She played the role of Liesel Meminger in the multiple-award-winning film, The Book Thief.
Brianne Tju is an alumnus of the children’s channel Disney, in 2007 her career in acting began when she was cast in the television series Cory in the House. She also worked on other television shows which make up the bulk of her career. 47 Meters Down: Uncaged is the third film she has ever acted in.
The other members of the cast are Davi Santos, Khylin Rambo, Brec Bassinger, John Corbett and the seasoned actress Nia Long.
Other Facts About 47 Meters Down: Uncaged
1. 47 Meters Down: Uncaged will not feature any cast member from the first film or continue the story from the first film, making this film completely independent of the actions that happened in the first film.
2. Johannes Roberts, James Harris, and Ernest Riera worked as director, producer, and writer respectively on the previous film. They are also holding the same positions in this film and are expected to replicate what they did in the last film.
3. Majority of the footage for the film was shot at the Dominican Republic.
4. The title of the film is the only allusion to the previous film, where the young girls who were trapped underwater were in a diving cage. In this sequel, there is no cage and the girls are in closer proximity to the sharks.
5. The title 47 meters refers to below the surface level where actions in the film are taking place.