If you are a popular film lover or a true movie buff, then you are certainly at the right place. Movies tell us a lot about the world around us and perhaps, change the way we think sometimes. That being said, no game night will be complete without playing a trivia game and what better trivia category is there than answering trivia questions about movies.
While there are over a hundred movies that hit the American cinemas every year, it will be hard to keep track of all of them. If you are thinking of a better game to play with your friends on your next outing, here’s a long list of trivia questions about movies and their answers, that will help you on your next game night or date night.
100+ Trivia Questions About Movies And Their Answers
Trivia Questions About Movies and Their Answers
1. In what US city did was the movie Die Hard set in?
Answer: Los Angeles
2. In Pirates of the Caribbean, what was the name of Jack Sparrow’s ship?
Answer: The Black Pearl
3. What year were the original Transformers released?
4. What planet did the 2009 epic sci-fi adventure film, Avatar take place?
5. What is the title of the only film for which actor John Wayne won an Oscar?
Answer: True Grit (2010)
6. What is the sub-title of the 1984 film, Star Trek 3?
Answer: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
7. In the Star Wars series, what is the name of the fictional weapon consisting of a published hilt which projects a blade of plasma, used by the Jedi and the Sith?
8. Who directed the 2005 superhero movie, Batman Begins?
Answer: Christopher Nolan
9. When was the martial arts action film Crouching Tiger: Hidden Dragon released?
10. What game does James Bond play in the movie, Casino Royale?
11. Who is the only person to win an Oscar for Best Director for the only movie he ever directed?
Answer: Jerome Robbins (West Side Story in 1961)
12. Which two actors directed themselves in movies and won Oscars for Best Actor?
Answer: Laurence Olivier (Hamlet in 1948) and Roberto Benigni (Life is Beautiful in 1998)
13. In which movie was the Oscar-winning song “Do Not forsake Me, Oh My Darlin’” prominently featured?
Answer: High Noon (1952)
14. “After all, tomorrow is another day!” was the last line in which Oscar-winning Best Picture?
Answer: Gone with the Wind (1939)
15. Who is the most nominated actor in Academy history?
Answer: Jack Nicholson
16. In which plot-twisting movie was it revealed in the surprise ending that the crippled con man who was released after being interrogated in a police station was in fact the criminal mastermind Keyser Soze?
Answer: The Usual Suspects (1995)
17. What was the first film to receive an Academy Award nomination in each of the performance categories?
Answer: My Man Godfrey (1936)
18. What Cameron Crowe-directed Hollywood remake was the setting for the on-screen and real-life romance of married actor Tom Cruise and Spanish actress Penelope Cruz?
Answer: Vanilla Sky (2001)
19. Who are the only two actresses to win the Best Actress Oscar (Academy Award) two years consecutively?
Answer: Katharine Hepburn and Luise Rainer
20. Which two movies have received the most Oscar nominations ever?
Answer: All About Eve (1950) and Titanic (1997)
21. What was the first musical to win the Best Picture Academy Award?
Answer: The Broadway Melody (1928/1929)
22. Which English director is responsible for the epic movie, Gladiator in 2000?
Answer: Ridley Scott
23. In which movie did Julia Roberts play a kind-hearted prostitute called Vivian Ward?
Answer: pretty Woman
24. Who directed the epic historical drama, Schindler’s List in 1993?
Answer: Steven Spielberg
25. What was the name is the second Indiana Jones movie released in 1984?
Answer: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
26. When was the Emperor’s New Groove released?
27. Which actress played the character of the arms dealer’s daughter in the 2015 action comedy film, Spy?
Answer: Rose Byrne
28. In Walt Disney’s 2001 animated film Monsters Inc, what do the monsters collect?
Answer: children’s screams
29. Who voices Kung Fu Panda?
Answer: Jack Black
30. In what year was Dr. Dolittle released?
Best Trivia Questions about Movies and Their Answers
31. Which actress plays the title role in The Princess Diaries?
Answer: Anne Hathaway
32. Who directed the 2014 wacky comedy film, The Grand Budapest Hotel?
Answer: Wes Anderson
33. In the 1987 classic comedy The Princess Bride directed by Rob Reiner, what is the pirate’s name?
Answer: The Dread Pirate Roberts
34. In the Lord of the Rings trilogy, what is Aragon’s nickname?
35. What was the name of the street where Harry lived in the movie, Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone?
Answer: Privet Drive
36. Which actor played the role of the title character in the 2016 comedy superhero movie, Deadpool?
Answer: Ryan Reynolds
37. What is the name of Lindsey Lohan’s character in the 2004 teen comedy film, Mean Girls?
38. In the 1996 action spy movie Mission Impossible, what agency does Ethan Hunt work for?
39. Who voices the donkey’s character in the 2001 animated movie, Shrek?
Answer: Eddie Murphy
40. Which actress played the Wonder Woman in the 2017 superhero film directed by Patty Jenkins?
Answer: Gal Gadot
41. What is the name of Jet Li’s character in the 2006 movie, Fearless?
Answer: Huo Yuanjia
42. What is the name of Vin Diesel’s character in the movie, Fate of the Furious?
43. In the 2005 animated comedy film Madagascar, where do the animals escape from?
Answer: The Zoo
44. Which actor played the role of The Grinch in the movie, How The Grinch Stole Christmas?
Answer: Jim Carey
45. Who directed the 2009 film, Avatar?
Answer: James Cameron
46. Which American actress was born as Ruth Elizabeth Davis?
Answer: Bette Davis
47. On which fictional planet was Superman born?
48. Which actor played the role of President in the 1997 movie, Air Force One?
Answer: Harrison Ford
49. In the Stars Wars series, what is the name of Han Solo’s Wookie co-pilot?
50. Who played the character of Fred Flintstone in the 1994 movie, The Flintstones?
Answer: John Goodman
51. In what movie was Bruce Willis featured as John McClane, a New York police officer, taking on a gang of criminals in a Los Angeles skyscraper on Christmas Eve?
Answer: Die Hard
52. What is the name of the 1997 science fiction movie starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones tells the story of a secret agency that polices alien refugees who are living on earth disguised as humans?
Answer: Men in Black
53. Which 1952 musical comedy tells the story of three performers making the transition from silent movies to talkies?
Answer: Singing in the Rain
54. What invisible power binds the whole galaxy together according to the Star Wars movie?
Answer: The Force
55. Which movie of Arnold Swaggarzniggar was first nominated for an Oscar Award?
Answer: Terminator 2
56. What movie did Quentin Tarantino write but not direct?
Answer: True Romance (1993); directed by Tony Scott
57. What is the 2014 fantasy adventure film based on the 2007 novel by Richelle Mead?
Answer: Vampire Academy
58. Who played the role of Brother Maynard in Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
Answer: Eric Idle
59. What is the clown’s name in Devil’s Rejects?
Answer: Captain Spaulding (played by Johnny Lee Johns)
60. Who plays Freddy Krueger in the original Nightmare on Elm Street movies?
Answer: Robert Englund
Famous Trivia Questions About Movies and Their Answers
61. Which future Seinfeld star appears in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation?
Answer: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
62. Which X-rated movie won an Oscar:
Answer: Midnight Cowboy
63. What did Marlon Brando and George C Scott refuse?
64. In Walt Disney’s Sleeping Beauty, what is the name of the Queen witch?
65. What film was the last sequel to win the best picture award?
Answer: Silence of the Lambs
66. William Hurt won the Best Actor Oscar for what 1985 movie?
Answer: The Kiss of the Spiderwoman
67. What was the first female monster to appear in a movie?
Answer: Bride of Frankenstein
68. What was Marilyn Monroe’s first film?
Answer: The Egg and I
69. What actress starred in the 1978 historical drama film, Pretty Baby?
Answer: Brooke Shields
70. What movie directed by Sydney Pollack starred Paul Newman and Josef Sommer?
Answer: Absence of Malice (1981)
71. Who played the evil Lex Luthor in the movie Superman Returns?
Answer: Kevin Spacey
72. What Aussie actress played wannabe celebrity Suzanna Stone Maretto in the movie To Die For?
Answer: Nicole Kidman
73. What was Neo’s official name in the Matrix trilogy?
Answer: Thomas Anderson
74. What film won an Academy Award for Best Achievement in Special Effects in 1956?
Answer: The Ten Commandments
75. Which actor starred in the 1991 remake of Cape Fear?
Answer: Robert De Niro
76. What character asked the question “My parents died when I was ten, do you wanna talk about that”? and in what movie?
Answer: Robbie Hart in The Wedding Singer
77. What is Denzel Washington’s most iconic role in a movie?
Answer: Eli in The Book of Eli (2010)
78. What movie did Kate Winslet star in that was directed by Sam Mendes?
Answer: Revolutionary Road (2008)
79. What film squashed Avatar’s record for 3D movie opening weekend ticket sales?
Answer: Alice in Wonderland
80. Which actress played the character of Gina in both Barbershop 2 and Beauty Shop?
Answer: Queen Latifah
81. Who was the main villain in the original Friday the 13th movie?
Answer: Mrs. Voorhees
82. Before The Artist (2011), what was the last silent film to be nominated for Best Picture?
Answer: The Patriot (2000)
83. What actor starred in the movie The Sixth Sense?
Answer: Bruce Willis
84. Which movie was the only horror nominated for the Best Film Oscar?
Answer: The Exorcist in 1973
85. What unusual role did Bogart play in The Return of Doctor X in 1939?
Answer: A Vampire
86. Who is famous for hijacking bull when he was drunk?
Answer: Otis Campbell
87. Who starred in the movie When Harry Met Sally?
Answer: Billy Crystal
88. What year did Clint Eastwood star in the movie The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?
89. When was the billion-dollar movie Rogue One released?
90. Which pair of real-life brothers (including first names) play the titular roles in The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989)? And what is the name of the alluring singer for whom they both fall, played by Michelle Pfeiffer?
Answer: Jeff Bridges and Beau Bridges; Susie Diamond
More Trivia Questions about Movies and Their Answers
91. Apart from his mockery of Hitler as Adenoid Hynkel hat part was played by Chaplin in his own The Great Dictator (1940) The character Napolini in the same film was a parody of which other political figures?
Answer: A Jewish barber; Mussolini
92. Which comic book hero provided a big break for Mexican director Guillermo del Toro in 2004? What was the subtitle of the follow-up, released in 2008?
Answer: Hellboy, Hellboy 2; The Golden Army was the full title of the sequel
93. How many days did it take David Niven to go Around the World?
Answer: 80 days
94. Which distinguished actor, later a Lord, played the lead in ‘Henry V’?
Answer: Laurence Olivier
95. Which planet features in the title of a 1979 Bond movie?
96. Which western actor won his only Oscar for ‘True Grit’?
Answer: John Wayne
97. Who is Clark Kent better known as?
98. Which actress starred as Cleopatra and married co-star Richard Burton?
Answer: Elizabeth Taylor
99. Serve the trust. Protect the innocent. Uphold the law. whose mantra?
100. What was the 1982 film starring Jeff Bridges as a computer software programmer battling to escape from being trapped inside his own program?
101. The 2013 Star Trek film brings the number of films in the official franchise up to eight, twelve or sixteen?
102. In which movie David Bowie appears as Jareth the Goblin King?
Answer: Labyrinth (1986)
103. What is the name of the villain in the first Superman movie (1980) played by Gene Hackman?
Answer: Lex Luthor
104. Who plays the body-swap mother and daughter in Freaky Friday (2003)?
Answer: Jaime Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan
105. Which actress reportedly claimed to have created the nickname “Oscar” for the Academy Award statue?
Answer: Bette Davis
106. With which cartoon character that he had created did Chuck Jones most identify with?
Answer: Wile E. Coyote
107. Which Oscar-winning film was dubbed “Cohn’s Folly” in Hollywood and thought to be non-adaptable for the big screen?
Answer: From Here to Eternity (1953)
108. Which actress in an Indiana Jones film became the future wife of director Steven Spielberg?
Answer: Kate Capshaw
109. Which actor had his major feature film debut in the first Indiana Jones film, and later starred as the superhero’s main villain in Spider-Man 2?
Answer: Alfred Molina
110. Two big-budget space disaster sci-fi action films involving giant meteors, comets or asteroids (on a collision course with Earth) were released by Hollywood in 1998 – one was Armageddon, what was the other?
Answer: Deep Impact